Friday, March 16, 2012

Button Card Valentines

On the eve of the 14th this year, I was sitting under the halo of my brass desk lamp assembling these little cards. Nothing seems to beat pink scraps of paper come mid-February, except maybe boxes full of milk chocolate. Earlier in the winter I was working on some sewing illustrations for one of the magazines at work, and I got to thinking how perfectly suited old button cards are for those quintessentially tiny valentines that children hand out in grade school. I spent January thinking about this idea, and the opening weeks of February getting to work in Illustrator. The finished cards have a pastel palette, some dimension courtesy of pop dots, and an assortment of trite sayings like "Beau Buttons: Handsome and steadfast" and "Arrow Brand: Cupid's preferred button." Lastly, they're designed to pair with #1 envelopes from Paper Source in Blossom and Papaya.

To make them yourself, download the .pdf by clicking here. To assemble as shown above, cut out cards on page one. Then punch out buttons on page three using 1" and 5/8" circle punches. Adhere buttons to cards where indicated with 1/4" pop dots. I've also included blank button cards, in case you'd like to attach your own buttons or use them in your scrapbooking projects.

25 comments:

Karen said...

Thanks so much! These are wonderful.

Clementine said...

I love these! They are so pretty, what a great idea. thank you x

jessica wilson said...

so lovely! thank you for sharing the sweetness. i want to frame them just because.

Stacy's Designs 88 said...

Gorgeous! Sooo darling.

Chocolate and Steel said...

these are adorable! thanks for sharing with all of us. I think they will make very cute gift cards.

Jessica Dotta said...

I LOVE this! I just discovered your blog but these are awesome!

Lissa (Bellenza) said...

So creative & cute! Love the nostalgic look to these!

grosir busana murah said...

WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..

Sue Lichter said...

What an awesome idea! You are gooood :} *****
thankyou for sharing.

Taylor said...

Aww how cute!! LOVE this idea. I am seriously in love with your blog. I'm not kidding...it is totally my style, I like everything I see! I'm a new follower :)
If you have the time, I'd love for you to check out my blog and follow!
http://covergirlandconverse.blogspot.com
Taylor

Chelsea said...

Thank you so much for these! They're just gorgeous and I really appreciate your generosity in sharing them with your readers.

Kindly,

Chelsea

Zima said...

These are adorable! Thanks for sharing!

elissa said...

it's two months past valentine's day and i've already bookmarked this for next year. love, love, love.

kiki said...

ohh, you have great ideas on your blog! It's nice to read :)

june said...

all is warm color.I am a 'fan' of yours, and it will be so much fun to see what inspires such a creative,talented crafter!

Amanda said...

I nominated you for an award! http://milkyypearls.blogspot.com/2012/04/one-lovely-blog-award.html

Manon said...

Thanks for sharing! These are gorgeous!

April Louise said...

I really like the envelopes!

Diane said...

These are lovely - thank you for sharing.

Diane said...

These are lovely. Thank you so much for sharing. I will enjoy using them for my 'special' buttons.

doyoudoux said...

WONDERFUL !

Maria at inredningsvis.se said...

LOVELY POST:) I really like your blog and I want to follow..do you have twitter or fb??

If you want some swedish decor inspiration, you can check out my blog:)
Have a great week.

LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
(Sweden)

Alison Charlton said...

Thanks so much for sharing these are great!

Toni Hinchcliffe said...

These are so cute! Thank you so much for sharing the pdf! I can't wait to use these on a vintage card or LO (or most likely--BOTH)!

Anonymous said...

I just found this post from Pinterest. Thank you so much for sharing these... I have been looking for button cards for a long time, can't wait to print them out and use them.

Post a Comment