Thursday, October 8, 2009

Meet Me at the Fair

In my home county, the fair came in early June. Just after the weather warmed and just before the horses ran at Del Mar. The time suited it. The Ferris wheel was at the far western edge; from its height you could look down on a ribbon of two lane highway or out beyond, where two low, tawny hills gave way to beach and sea. It was place wrapped in the promise of summer.I suppose that's why I'd rather forgotten that the fairs of storybooks are autumn affairs. Places for prize pigs and blue ribbon pies. Calico dresses, golden hay bales and cloud streaked harvest skies. Where storybook children run through carnival light in in the briskness of late September air, leaping from carousel horses to spend their nickels on gluttonously dipped apples, bright red and caramel. Such things are best in fall, so I'm quite glad the early days of October brought us to a new county fair and its amusements. Lanky-legged lambs, rambunctious pigs and brown spotted calves. The dust kicked up by hooves in paddocks. The slow spin of the Ferris wheel overhead. The midway lights by night. Folded quilts. Jars of honey. Corndogs from stands. And a three minute wait for photobooth prints."Don't tell me the lights are shining any place but there."

30 comments:

nikita said...

these photos are absolutely beautiful! the fair sounds just wonderful.

Karen said...

oooh! i love this post! :) happy theme parks.

Mermaid said...

these photos are quite remarkable, my dear! they've put in me in a complacent shock. they are truly magnificant, and so are you words to match♥

Puur Anders said...

Beautiful pictures!

Chen said...

woww, great photos!

teapartied said...

beautiful pictures!
I love the lights from carnival rides :)
x

Stacy's Designs 88 said...

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. Such a beautiful way to start my day today. :)

Inty swetha said...

great pictures!! love it !! i wish all these things happen at my place!

6p00df3520a4fb8833 said...

Dreamy and beautiful!

2 By Design said...

Such beautiful photos and thoughts. Your post reminds me of being a kid, and what the fair and childhood should really be about.

{The Perfect Palette} said...

such fun. great post.

yoli said...

lovely pics

Marie said...

Your pictures are so beautiful ! It's look like a dream...

TLC said...

Inspiring. Thank you!

sara said...

oh you are making me crave candied apples and cotton candy now!wonderful photos!

Kim said...

So nostalgic and fun! I love the processing on these too.

noyab said...

amazing picture!

Paper Lady Invites said...

lovely pictures! thanks so much for sharing!
-chelsey

Sarah said...

gorgeous photos! so lovely and dreamlike.

Filipa said...

Oh how beautiful and dreamy! I can just close my eyes and hear the music of the fair!

thedoodlegirl said...

What a lovely place to be! Thanks for sharing your adventures and beautiful photos!

John Woo said...

well, thanks, i definitely go there some day
thanks for positive

walrus blog said...

Love the color and softness of the photos. Please check out my blog!

Sue Foss said...

I also love the soft yet vibrant colors of the fair photos. Gives them a nostalgic feel...

Acaislim said...

I love these photos!

Saltina said...

There are several bloggers out there with very nice local fairs. The fairs near me certainly don't look like that!

Mandie said...

okay, so I saw these pictures of the fair a few weeks ago or something and I have been dreaming about them ever since. I WANT THEM :) Where can I get a gigantic version of this ferris wheel for my livingroom wall???

Maggie said...

Wow your pictures are really great!

bomobob said...

Carnivals always ignite that childlike creativity in me when it comes to photography. These shots make me giddy.
I'm so glad I found this blog!

Julia @ Mélanger said...

I love these photographs. Have you applied a filter of colour to them? I have a few wedding photos that I want to shade in blue and green and this reminds me of the technique.????

Post a Comment