Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Bit of Earth

Growing up my dad was always cultivating things in the backyard. At one point or another there were tomatoes, corn, carrots, peas, oranges, strawberries, raspberries, watermelon, pumpkins and a consistent assortment of herbs. The green figs stand out in earliest memory, honey-sweet and salmony pink on the inside. The plum tree had deep violet bark and a knotty, convoluted trunk. Its fruit was of the tartest variety, but in springtime its spindly branches were sprinkled with delicate blossoms whose petals fell away in the slightest wind. And right around the time school started again, the apples started falling to the ground, green, blushed with deep red. We'd haul them back to the house in buckets after dinner, and I'd help my mother measure oatmeal and brown sugar for apple crisp. I miss that away at school - having a "bit of earth," in the words of Mary Lennox. There's something almost noble, about gardening, perhaps it's the requisite patience or maybe it's simply the pure and basic reliance on nature. Up at school I've been gingerly tending a windowsill garden since the spring, learning along the way just how green my thumb isn't. Too much water, too little water, too much sun, seeds that never sprout, pesky bugs that won't go away. Oh, my. But I finally have some healthy new seedlings in tiny terracotta pots, complete with homemade plant stakes (Popsicle sticks + chalkboard paint). And the zinnias are even ready for a larger home!

20 comments:

Amber said...

I adore the way you make simple things in life so very beautiful and magical. I love to visit your blog and get endless inspiration and beauty in my day.

Polly R said...

Well done for growing your own plants. You write so well, and those pictures are beautiful x

Kavita said...

That description, right from tomatoes to apples falling, oh so dreamy.

Katherine said...

What a great idea for plant stakes! I will have to try that.

jen said...

Beautiful pictures. I don't have much of a green thumb either. But, at least your trying! Looks like you're doing alright to me!

oh, hello friend. said...

oh such pretty photos! :)
as always.

xo. danni

blazedanielle said...

Hey Livy! I just planted some seeds/sprouts in my own pots this morning! :) Two minds think alike!

Amiable Peculiarities said...

Livy, I adore your blog! It really captures my feelings and is such amazing eye candy. My kettle recently died a death and I have been boiling water in a saucepan for about 3 weeks now while putting off buying a new one until I find just the right one. The one in your kitchen has made my heart sing, where oh where did you get it? Jane

funchi said...

Beautiful!

the art cupboard said...

lovely :) sounds like a good dad :) my grandpa was that way as well, he was always growing something or everything really. there is something noble about gardening particularly when men garden i think,
beautiful blog :)

C. said...

Wonderfull post with such lovely pictures. It makes me want to take care of my plants today ;-D

Kristen said...

What beautiful pictures!
:)

summer said...

your little green babies are lovely. congratulations on successfully nurturing them. your pictures are so pretty and peaceful, glad i stopped by.

jb said...

I LOVE that kichen!!!!!

Torie Jayne said...

Dreamy post, with gorgeous pics, x

Soaked in sequins said...

I love yor blog, it's so cute!

xx

lanak said...

Your photos are amazing! I also love growing things, it makes me happy :)

eye laser treatment said...

One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. I am pleased to see your gardening photograph. Thank you for posting.

meandering pearl said...

a true delight!

Misha said...

My grandma always included me in her gardening, she still does everytime I'm over. And I miss it so! I've been thinking about having a few herbs or vegetables growing in the kitchen, but the problem with our kitchen is there are no windows, no sunlight... :(

Post a Comment