Monday, June 22, 2009

Slide Projector: The Pre-Raphaelites

Hello again! Dear me, somewhere between ending another school year and starting an internship, two weeks have quickly slipped by without a post. But this means I have a backlog of projects to share with you in the coming weeks (the craft closet is approaching completion and the dollhouse is finally going to be unveiled!). Before I completely abandon academics for the summer I wanted to add to the "Slide Projector" series with a group of artists I studied during the year.It's at the end of the first floor corridor, behind the dove gray door on the right. Room 1542, where the daydreamiest of students drift off on a bit of time travel. Not to the oft frequented Parisian exhibitions of most 19th century art history courses, but to England. To the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood and their circle, a thoroughly fascinating band of romantics, brooding and avant-garde, with the requisite starry eyed poet among them. They were fascinated by the medieval, and displaced by the shock of industrialism's soot and steam. Onto the banks of Ophelia's watery grave, across fields after rain, a vibrancy of color and gloried nature spills from their brushes, tempered by a compelling quality of the mysterious and the unsaid.

20 comments:

Kavita said...

Ah,Ophelia. I've always loved that one.

It actually inspired me to believe I could reproduce it with ease a long time ago. The end result...not even close!:-)

What wonderful talent you have,Livy.

rain girl said...

gorgeous post. i love your blog.. its so pretty to look at and so soothing and a delight to read. please share more of the arty stuff! can't wait for the dollhouse project..it looked so beautiful - all those lil stuff u made for it.. and do, do post some photo shoot again :)

tc!

pixelhazard said...

Oh ophelia is so lovely

Hannah said...

Wonderful post. You could be a poet. :D

Hannah

Janet said...

ooohh! one of my favorites! i have been to the Tate and seen Ophelia. Beautiful. so dreamy!

LindaSonia said...

Oh, I am anxious to see that dollhouse. Will look forward to it. I was just wondering the other day how you were doing with it. LindaSonia

The Yellow Door Paperie said...

This makes me nostalgic for Art History class.

Rebecca said...

these slides are so fantastic!

the life of a teenage scrapbooker said...

that doll house is too cute!!
i soo want one, where did you get yours??
can't wait for the revel!!
Megan P

Karyn - (French Charming) said...

A true feast for the eyes...beautiful slides, thank you for sharing!

Polly R said...

I love the way you write !
I can't wait to see the craft closest or dolls house! You are SO talented!
XX

cindy : quaint said...

they are so lovely. do you know the book 'painted gardens : english watercolors 1850-1914' by penelope hobhouse and christopher wood? i think you would love it.

Ruth said...

Beautiful, and yes you write very well.

♥Simply Seductive said...

First time visit to this blog... well worth it!

All the best,

Louise said...

Your blog is so beautiful- I love to visit I would like to share an award with you over at my blog.

Blessings
Louise

TMCPhoto said...

The Pre-Raphaelites were always my favourites in art history classes but then I've always been a closet medieval nut

Kat_RN said...

Love the Pre-Raphaelites, they really do need to be appriciated more. Have you seen "the Golden Stair" by Burne-Jones? It is a favorite, If I remember correctly it resides at the Tate. Wonderful blog, I will be back.
Kat

The Little Fox said...

Lovely, adorable blog! Glad I have found you!

setyourselfonfire said...

every time i come to your blog i am completely captivated by all the wonderful things you share. thank you.

wide open spaces said...

have i told you before that you are a genius? everything that you do is utter perfection. i am loving these slides...

Post a Comment