Monday, March 16, 2009

Slide Projector: A New Series

One by one I would take them out of the carousel. Sometimes as I transferred them from the projector to the light box they’d catch the 5th period sun streaming through the classroom’s open doorway; red and green glinted in the van Eyck, a daub of blue blinked in the Vermeer. When at last they were all arranged on the light box I’d reach for the switch and unveil a curated row of tiny illuminated works. I’d read and record the names on each cardboard frame before it was time to pull the heavy volume of Gardner’s out of the veneered cabinet and read while sitting at the orange laminate countertop.

I’m thankful for those afternoons emptying the slide projector and for the high school teacher that agreed to let me take art history as an independent study course – that’s where art history started for me after all. I’ll always have a sentimental affinity for slide projectors, their whirring fans and mechanical clicks seem to be as much a part of the discipline as the art. Nowadays at the university it seems only the most revered professors still use projectors, accompanying their lectures with image collections that seem to have been decades in the making.

For a long time now, I’ve been wanting to catalog my favorite art historical works. Every now and then there'll be a moment of utter captivation in the middle of an early morning lecture, and I’ll jot a note in the margin of my composition book. Lest they be forgotten amidst highlighter markings and fading ink, I’ve decided to post them intermittently on this blog – placed within slide projector frames (recreated by me). Be on the look out for the first edition of the Slide Projector Series!

Slide projector image source: Wikipedia.
Image in first frame above is a detail of one of Constable's Cloud Studies, but you'll likely be seeing more of those later!

30 comments:

Helen said...

I look forward to this, Livy!

Adie said...

This is a neat idea!

breast gain said...

congratulations on blogs of note btw! :)

Angelique said...

Oh how cool! I was in charge of the slide projector in my high school art history class too and I can still remember the comforting whirring sound the machine made next to me. (Unless a slide got stuck and then I had to fish around with a bent bobby pin). Now I'm in grad school studying art history - working on a thesis about Hieronymus Bosch.
I look forward to seeing your favorites!

Julie Ann said...

I just love this online journal of yours! :) Lots of pretty and interesting things to look forward to. :) Can't wait for posts on the Slide Projector series.

Viewtiful_Justin said...

This is something I'll look forward to!

Isn't it sad how the sounds of older times are fading? The click and whirr of a slide projector, the sound of chalk on a chalkboard, the methodical plunking of a typewriter. All mostly gone. All sounds I love.

Thanks for making me think of that this morning. You put a smile on my face.

Pattern and Perspective said...

This should be so interesting - I can't wait to see what inspires you.

jen jafarzadeh said...

What a creative idea! I'm so excited for this series.

Ivy said...

the blog party perfect also mentioned you. From your 21st birthday post.
www.partyperfectblog.blogspot.com

it is not my blog, im just reader.
How is your dollhouse coming along? Can't wait to see it.

nichole said...

sounds great! My art histroy professor used a slide projector... and that was only 4 years ago.
He would glance quickly to see what the slide was and then be able to talk for hours about the piece. Any questions were answered with enthusiasm.
It was because of his vast knowledge that i followed him abroad to study art history in Italy. As we walked through the museums, he would point to works he helped restore. He was in love with these paints... and for good reason. They are breathtaking in real life.
It was in Italy that my love of all things art truly started.
thanks for the reminder of a great man and a wonderful time in my life.

MzzLily said...

Being a newbie, I am delighted to have stumbled onto your blog. I was seduced by the style & colors, as I should have been born a proper Victorian lady. But upon scanning your posts, I was captivated. Thank you for the obvious effort you put into this blog. I look forward to 'catching up' with all the earlier posts.

Star said...

I used to have loads and loads of slides and the projector to go with it, but sadly, they deteriorate eventually and end up in the bin. I like your idea for the Blog very much. Good luck with it.
Blessings, Star

Rebecca said...

What a great idea. I love your site...looking forward to seeing your projects, stories, and work!

St0rm187 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
edyta szyszlo photo said...

can't wait!

Grace@PoeticHome said...

I really look forward to the slide series. I know it will be filled with beauty and historical meaning.

Congrats on the more-than-worthy mentions Livy!!

Sonia Luna said...

All the publicity is totally deserved!
I did a little post about your blog too, you can see it here:
http://sonialuna.blogspot.com/2009/03/starlight-spotlight.html
hope you like it!

nollyposh said...

i have very fond memories of 'Family slide nights' when i was a child and all my cousins and Aunts and Uncles would gather at our Grandparents for a night 'at the movies' watching the slides of my Grandparents ~world~ travels (They traveled a lot with my Grandfathers job) and all our favorite baby shots... i remember all the giggles when some went in upside down! Lol! Sighhh... We must do another X:-)

The Quirky Coach said...

Nice blog! Keep it up :-) feels so homey and cozy

jqfr said...

hey just dropping by , love your blog :)

abhishek said...

nice blog.. keep it up

joeygirl said...

congrats!

CCNA said...

great!

Ann said...

nice blog!

kerry lynn said...

oh
this makes me so happy
as a fellow art history major
my heart is smiling
xo

zhijian said...

buy wow gold,cheap wow gold,wow power leveling.

zhijian said...

buy wow gold,cheap wow gold,wow power leveling.

sofiatome said...

wow!! really beautiful :)

Rebecca Dooley said...

I'm not selling anything, but I have a boat load of slide projector carousel blow molded hard cases that we're trying to get rid of. They are free... although you'd have to pay shipping. Email me if you are interested or want more info. Rebecca@dcommand.com

Jacob said...

Wow.. this is really good idea. I look forward to seeing your projects.

Post a Comment