Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Laundry Day and Old Things

It was warm and breezy enough to open the windows all weekend, and last Friday was a perfectly lazy laundry day topped of with an evening Vivaldi concert in the library's rotunda. Somewhere between folding the whites and the Spring concerto I took these photos, which all strangely enough seem to have the influence of both. The photo above is of something I've been meaning to post about for a long time. It's the other wall of our kitchen, where a narrow, shallow little cupboard houses a pull down ironing board (or rather "fall down" as nothing holds it in place but the weight of the door). That's right, we've got an ironing board that folds out of the wall. In the kitchen. Presumably so we can master the feminine arts of cooking and ironing simultaneously. I'm sure this was all the rage in 1947. When we moved in the ironing board part of it was just bare wood, so I requisitioned some thick batting and floral cotton and made a cushioned drawstring cover for it. I will quite miss the whole little arrangement when we move away after graduation, it's so terribly pretty and convenient. As for the rest of the vintage beauties below, they were photographed for the "A Few of My Favorite Vintage Things" series that Grace is running this week at Poetic Home. I had such fun selecting my favorite old objects and remembering how they came to be in my possession... for the tales behind all these trinkets head over to Grace's for a visit. I can't wait to see the favorite vintage finds from other contributors throughout the coming week - something to look forward to despite the fact that final exams are looming just around the corner. Happy March everyone!

32 comments:

Helen said...

Yay! A new post! I just found your blog a few days ago, read your archives, and have been itching for a new post. I'm delighted!

Rachel said...

I am so jealous of your ironing board! I like to think that I might actually iron my clothes occasionally if I had one that folded out of the wall. I probably wouldn't, but it's a nice fantasy.

Grace@PoeticHome said...

I can totally see the relationship between the concert and the photos. The inspiration is translated beautifully. Thank you so much for participating in the series, especially with finals around the corner!

Only you could make laundry day so beautiful and magical Livy!

jessimarie33 said...

You take lovely photos! Gorgeous blog.

Ashley L. said...

BEAUTIFUL! You have such a talented eye. I love the softness in both color and texture :)

Char said...

lovely shots

made sweet said...

beautiful pictures!

Jacinda Davis said...

All of these photos are gorgeous! The pull down ironing board in the kitchen is definitely interesting. I think I could go for one of those in my laundry room, NOT my kitchen. The more I think about ironing in a kitchen the more it sounds like a terrible idea. It seems like you would either end up burning your food or your clothes.

Pfeiffer Photos said...

We had an in-wall iron board like that in the old house I grew up in. I don't remember my mom using it but I liked that narrow little door on the wall and just knowing something so practical was inside it. :)

Jen said...

Holy crow, I wish we had a pull-down ironing cupboard! Currently I iron on an ironing pad — very sad state of affairs. Your photos are gorgeous — love the spools of thread!

Tanja said...

Oh how I love your sense of colours. That's why I tagged you. Play if you like!

Anne Thompson said...

I just have to say that I am *in love* with your blog! So many beautiful things to look at and be inspired by! Your photos are incredible, such gorgeous lighting : ) I'll be sure to come back! Anne

gybe ♥ said...

this is my first time in your blog
suddenly, i'm fall in love with your blog ,, :' ) it's real
all photos all stuff and colors so lovely <3
i will visit you again for sure , gybe :D

courtney brooke photography said...

So i just discovered your blog, and i am officially obsessed, don't you worry. Can we please be friends? Haha i just want your creativity.
xoxo

Rachael said...

Beautiful photographs - love the colouring on them so vintage.

Being Woven @ Woof and Warp said...

I just happened upon your blog and love it already. I am 61 and when I was 14, we moved into a home with an ironing board built in so similar to yours. I just loved it as a youth cuz I did a lot of the family's ironing. I also loved the fact that the board was hidden away yet always there.
Your photo and words bring back days of long ago for me, a time when my family was adjusting to change, Newness, such as a board in the wall, plus a metal pass-through double-doored box built into the wall from the outside to the inside for the milkman to leave dairy products. He came at 4 am so the fresh milk would be there when the family got up! Cool oldie-but-goodies! Thanks for sharing!

danielangelo513 said...

Amazing photography work. I love the 2nd one, with the threads. The small, hinting effects create an astounding work of art!

you-wee because said...

Gratz!

Really an extraordinary blog with extraordinary & wonderful pictures/posts!
Really worth seeing and strolling through...

Regards from Germany,

you-wee.

Dreamers Dream said...

amazing
i love these!
-hailey

Freya said...

these are photographs? They look like paintings to me. wow, how did you take them?

Maria said...

These pictures of yours have such beautiful, magical sense of light. What an inspiring blog you have!

blossom said...

gorgeous photos, so lovely x
congrats on being a "blog of note"
take care, sharon x

Monty said...

very good - abstract too, best wishes.

AmeliaNicole said...

Your pictures are so simple yet so beautiful. They really inspire me. =]
-Amelia

coffee said...

i seriously love your graphical style

Alanna said...

I love the photos. The colouring and angles really work.

Jolie Morgan Musick said...

I really like how yellowed that last photo is. It makes it seem very distant.

simplesong said...

oh my, i'm in love with these photos! you are amazing! thanks for sharing.

PLS said...

I'm in a blog class now... congratulations for being a blog of note, well deserved. Your photos are fabulous. You have raised the bar for where I eventually want to be. Thank you.

Ann said...

Interesting! Aha!
I am a Chinese university student.Nice to meet you !

Anonymous said...

great post

Thao said...

Your blog is gorgeous! I'm commenting on a post from March because I've been going through your archives for the past hour. :) Thanks for sharing all this loveliness with us--I'm in awe of your talent!

Post a Comment