Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Romantic Sampler

I've been inspired by the 18th century lately, which is probably a side effect of my courses this term (18th century intellectual history and women in the American colonies). I put this illustration together earlier in the week from some older drawings and a few pieces of more recent work. I wanted it to have the symmetrical, folksy qualities of a sewing sampler and of course some fashion elements reminiscent of the times. I hope everyone had a lovely Valentine's Day!

11 comments:

KJ said...

I just stumbled upon your blog through another blogger who was pointing others to Valentine related themes. I have perused through many of your posts and I thoroughly enjoy what you are doing here! I even told a friend!

Thanks for the visit!

KJ

Casey said...

This is so amazingly lovely! :) The colors and line-work are gorgeous...

Tea said...

Beautiful! It reminds me a little of playing cards and Alice in Wonderland.

Amanda said...

Found your blog through Once Wed. Happy to see how you've assimilated art history, DIY projects, and art into one cohesive blog.

I too am an art history student (graduate) with an undergrad in sculpture. I very much enjoy seeing others that are able to combine both the visual and historical disciplines of art.

-AD

Stink Bone Jones said...

This is as beautiful as always. I especially loved those boxes you recently posted! Just gorgeous!

Ashley L. said...

That is gorgeous! I love it!

sara said...

Beautiful!

Your main page isn't showing up for me today... we weep!

Illegal or not said...

Every little girl's fantasy :)

Nettie's Blog said...

Love that sampler ...i too am reminded of alice in wonderland...just two months agao i saw a live production in Hobart's Botanical Gardens...Tasmania Australia...check my blog for pics...i am inspired...thank you

Fee & Mlina said...

Beautiful :) I adore your blog

nicole hill gerulat said...

ooh i love this!

-nicolephoto.com

Post a Comment