Saturday, January 10, 2009

Storybook Embroidery: A Handmade Kit

The first official post of the new year! I must admit it's been a somewhat slow and unenthusiastic transition from the holiday break back to the normal routine of things, but on the upside I've got lots of projects planned for 2009. Today I wanted to share the embroidery kit I made as a Christmas present for Alice. The whole kit is based on a watercolor of a "Storybook girl" I did in late November {image 2}. This little lass is kind of a fusion of influences with her Heidi-inspired costume, a stylized Dutch bonnet and curly brown hair. I pulled a color scheme from the painting, and here's where it took me: I had so much fun putting this together. I picked up the unfinished cigar box at Michael's and designed and printed patterned paper to line the bottom of it. I also made a label {1} for the front and coordinating cards for the pattern {3}, instructions {4} and included supply list {2}. Oh, and the handiest part - two cards with illustrated how-tos for the chain stitch {6} and French knot. For the strawberry pincushion {5} I used the pattern at Martha Stewart and some scraps of Heather Bailey fabric, and on a family shopping trip I picked up some unbleached cotton at an out of the way hobby shop. Finally I painted an embroidery hoop cherry red and topped it all off with 6 skeins of embroidery thread, pins, a needle and some tracing paper. All ready for crafting in '09!

18 comments:

Miss Muffin said...

Wow, I would love to get this as a present! This is so gorgeous!

Miss Muffin

caseykoester said...

I've been enjoying your blog for a little while now and this is my first time commenting. Your style is a source of constant inspiration for me.

I love this embroidery kit idea! It must have taken you so long to get all of this put together. It makes such a special present. Well done!

Storybook Woods said...

Briallant idea, I have lots of cigar boxs. I am thinking this would make a great gift. Thank you Clarice

Stacy's Designs 88 said...

You should sell this kit in your Etsy shop. Seems like you may have a popular item. :)

LBB said...

What a sweet gift, right down to the patterned paper you designed and the little pincushion! Not to mention your watercolor girl looks just adorable. :)

Katie Carter said...

This is amazing, my favorite is Alice in Wonderland...that would make such a sweet embroidery as well!! What a thoughful present : )

Ashley L. said...

This is too cute for words! I love it! Thank you for sharing! :)

Grace@PoeticHome said...

This is incredible! Livy, everything you create is a work of art. It is wonderful to give a present that inspires people to create.

theannotatedlife said...

wow, it looks amazing! really loved all the cute details thay make it so special. and painting the hoop was the best idea!

blazedanielle said...

Livy, you are soo much fun!! I love all of your ideas and crafting skills! Your blog is always so beautiful, and your are a huge source of inspiration to everyone! :)

xoxo!

Sarah Von said...

That.is.fantastic. What a lucky, lucky gift recipient!

Annette said...

I love this set! so beautiful. =)

sara said...

What a GORGEOUS gift! Oh my goodness, it's lovely!

brooke said...

This is an adorable idea.. I love how much thought and care has gone into every detail. What a lucky girl!

dwelling and design said...

This is too precious.

Rebekka said...

Oh my! The more I read your blog, the more speechless I become. Sorry to keep gushing, but this is amazing!

Sh.Kaflan said...

Super!

Dionis Veras said...

Dig the pics

Post a Comment