Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Dollhouse: Update

Here we are in January, and I've realized just how much I've neglected to share the dollhouse progress with you all! Throughout the last few months it's improved from a sad little stack of splintery pieces to something that looks like a house, sans the shingles. Once I get the roofing on, I'll photograph the whole house, but for now here are some details from the "construction."
Flooring: Creating miniature hardwood floors from Popsicle sticks is ridiculously time consuming, but I figured, if I'm going through the trouble to build this thing, I might as well go all out, right? So last August I sorted out warped sticks, trimmed and sanded all the rounded ends, arranged and glued, slat by slat. I debated for a while about how to finish them - stain seemed too dark and conventional, unfinished seemed boring, so I finally went with a "distressed white" finish which is a look I always envy in real life homes. Achieving this involved staining my mini floors with some leftover English chestnut wood stain, painting them white after letting them dry for a week and finally, persisting through some tedious sanding - fine grit sand paper, teeny little strokes along the edges of teeny little floorboards.
Windows, Walls and Trim: Preparing all the pieces to paint was my least favorite part. Sanding took forever, the wood was splintery, and since I used acrylic craft paint, which is a little on the watery side, it took numerous coats to get full coverage. But overall I'm happy with the finish (I added varnish - satin for siding/walls and glossy for trim). My dad helped me glue the frame of it together with his elaborate collection of clamps, and once the walls were up, it was time to start affixing window sashes, window frames and window panes which was the point where it really started to all come together visually. After a long hiatus through the fall school term, we finally got around to gluing on the roof in December, and today I added the last bits of gingerbread trim atop the gables. It's nearing completion! Though piecing hundreds of individual shingles seems quite daunting...

15 comments:

caseykoester said...

This is simply fantastic. You must be such a patient person. I never knew you could buy a complete kit, and in such a cute design, too!

Good luck, it looks lovely!

Char said...

wow - that is some LOVE in this house. Can't wait to see the final results.

Kitty said...

I think you just might be the most creative person on earth! I am so happy that I discovered your blog...I am just in awe!

Ashley L. said...

WOW! This is too cute. I love it. Very beautiful and creative :)

theannotatedlife said...

oh my, that is some serious amount of work! guess i'd never have the patience. i'm really looking forward to see it ready!

Grace@PoeticHome said...

Even your progress notes are beautiful! I can't wait to see this gorgeous and cute creation. This would have been a dream for me to make as a little girl who wanted to grow up to be an architect :)

sara said...

What (adorable) detail! Those tiny floorboards are beyond sweet. It's lovely!

Helen Cuthbert said...

Wow - you must have lots of patience!! Can't wait to see the finished house.

tavelhus said...

Inspiering blog!I read about your blog in BOLIGLIV.

ada and the fox said...

you have a very lovely blog here...

Lex said...

Oh my god! i built a doll house too from scratch! I think we are twin souls!

Kathleen said...

This is so neat! I am looking forward to seeing more =)

Katie Carter said...

This is an amazing project!! The photos you share are so quaint! I am seriously loving your blog : ) How do you make your posting pics and layout so cute? Happy Tuesday!

Rebekka said...

Ha...until the very end of the post I really thought you were talking about YOUR house, and I was like...woah. Then when you started about the popsicle stick floors I got it. Amazing.

Vina Puspita said...

Totally amazing! love it love it!!

Post a Comment