Tuesday, December 2, 2008

To Grandmother's House We Go



In the corner of Nana's sewing room, next to the little old desk and the White machine sits a giant glass jar filled with buttons. Round ones and square ones, some in mother of pearl, others in nautical brass or 60s bright orange plastic. Some with sparkling stones, some long since parted from a brown plaid coat, some with peculiar letters, anchors or entangled monograms. They've been there for as long as I can remember, always a source for the creative pursuits that dotted the timeline of my childhood.

This Thanksgiving I found myself somewhat bored between the potatoes and the pie, and the kitchen was so bustling that my dishtowel-wielding hands were never called into action. So I thought I'd take a turn through those old buttons. Mischievously I lifted the glass lid, somewhat effortlessly compared to the way I'd struggled with its weight as a little girl. What resulted is the collection above: pink, bright, cheery, mismatched.

Nana let me take them home as an early Christmas present. Thrilled, I thought to pair them up with the cardboard house (from Michael's) I decorated last week to look a little like a teeny watercolor sketch I did this summer (it's pictured in the border above). I suppose a photo shoot featuring buttons and glitter "snow" is entirely ridiculous. But everyone has their quirks. Besides, they've inspired a "Homemade Christmas" theme for my projects this holiday season. Think houses, hearth and a reliance on classic craft supplies - plain old paper and scissors, glitter, buttons and string. Of course there's a craft tutorial in the works for you all! To be posted as soon as I finish final exams.

20 comments:

Lynne said...

My grandmother had a button jar too. I think it is a great idea - must start one myself - and your collaboration looks beautiful.

Ruthie Haokip said...

Beautiful. :) My Nana has never been interested in crafting of any kind.

Tiffani said...

Oooh! Pretty, pretty! You found some beautiful buttons, and the house, "snow," and buttons make a lovely arrangement.

LBB said...

What a sweet house! I saw those little houses at Michael's too in their very raw state and I'm glad to see what you did with it, buttons and all. So pretty, so cheery!

Soon, Then said...

candy-ish and lovely! So wonderful!

Greta said...

This is so pretty! My mom had a button jar that we played with for hours and hours as kids...what fond memories. :)

theannotatedlife said...

the buttons are lovely, really, as well as the little cardboard box. such nice colours!

theannotatedlife said...

oops. cardboard house.

Storybook Woods said...

So sweet, I love it !!!! Clarice

Stacey said...

Very pretty. I made a bracelet for my mom from some of her mom's buttons. :)

Tizzalicious said...

Oooh, those pictures are gorgeous! My mom has a button tin, but none of them seem to be very exciting :(

Helen Cuthbert said...

I inherited my Grandmothers button Jar (though it was more of a giant tin) and their are some great finds in there!! I used to love sorting them out and arranging them by colour! Mmmm that must have been the designer in me coming out at an early age!!

Ashley L. said...

This is just too cute! Good luck on finals, I'm right there with ya! :)

nkp said...

So sweet! Good luck with exams.

megan and melissa said...

I love grandmothers with button jars. My grandma always had the best buttons! Have fun with your homemade holidays. Those are definitly the best!
Love your blog-- thanks for sharing your talents!
Melissa
fiddlesticksandfunnygirls.blogspot.com

threemoonbabies said...

Sooo pretty!
Can't wait to see the tutorial!

SleightGirl said...

That's so great! I love new (and old) finds!

S.HOPtalk said...

I can't wait. Sounds utterly delightful!

Snippety Gibbet said...

What a great idea. I have a ton of Grandma's buttons and no idea what to do with them. This is great.

pinkstilettos said...

How pretty! love it! Daisy~

Post a Comment