Sunday, November 23, 2008

Old School

Last Friday afternoon I had already battled a labyrinth of call numbers and corridors in what seemed like every library on campus, all in a frenzied pursuit of sources for my research paper. I admit, it was last minute, and it seemed like every book on Jacques-Louis David was quickly being pulled from the shelves by my fellow classmates. So when I ran smack dab into a charity book sale on the north end of campus, I almost didn't stop. But it was warm and breezy outside and the dingy interior of my final library stop wasn't exactly an anticipated destination.I ended up with a heavy brown box stacked with three old yearbooks. I settled on the 1925, 1931 and 1939 editions of Southern Campus, all chock full of old photos of the grounds, nostalgic reflections, finger-waved hair and smart saddle shoe oxfords. (They're stacked above under my roommate's old Royal typewriter.) It's quite amusing to see the building I work in now (coincidentally, on the yearbook staff, among other things) embossed on the leather cover of the 1931 issue, apparently newly dedicated that year.
I also found a little collection of colorful "pocket books": Random Harvest with an inscription dated 1945, The Pocket Book of Old Masters copyright 1949 and a darling miniature 1940 hardcover called The Story of One Hundred Symphonic Favorites. Lastly I picked up a 1967 copy of Lampedusa's Il Gattopardo which I coincidentally just finished reading for class a few weeks ago. It's exquisitely written; positively a must-read if you like historical fiction.This agreeable bundle of art, music and history topped off my new box of treasures.

9 comments:

Sara said...

I had to read part of Il Gattopardo in Italian, and let me tell you, that was no picnic. But I'm glad to hear someone enjoyed it :)

How was the flea market today? I'm so sad I couldn't come, but I had to be a diligent hostess and ready my apartment for my parents coming this week for the holidays ...

Talk to you soon! ~ Sara

Lynne said...

I love the top photo. Those books look great tied up with ribbon - I think something like that would look great sitting on a set of shelves.

Joanna Goddard said...

so beautiful!

Annette said...

Lovely, just lovely. I love old school paraphenalia. :)
I love David, I also just finished a project on him for my Art History course. One of my favorites is the Death of Marat. Gotta love the French Revolution!

Heather said...

Ooh I love old books. There's something so charming about them...

nkp said...

Your photography skills are enviable, beautiful composition! What a lucky find!

Theresa und Eva-Maria said...

I just came across your interview at "Creature of Comfort" and was hooked by your site! I love all your vintage inspirations! Funny enough, I just got such a short haircut (similar to the ones in the pictures of this post) yesterday evening after eight years of long hair!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Theresa

•ciaotay• said...

love the books. love the ribbons. ciao.

Aparna said...

very nice picture frame

Post a Comment