Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Girl in the Locket

I realized it's been quite some time since I posted any drawings, and even worse, quite some time since I've drawn. During the school year, I find that I'm never quite as prolific as I'd like to be, but it isn't for want of ideas. Every Monday and Wednesday afternoon, Professor Corey assumes the podium, adjusts the microphone and opens with a feisty little quip on current affairs (which I unfailingly find brilliant and amusing whether or not I agree). She then proceeds to teach turn of the century American history as I've never heard it before. It's colorful, vivid and visually alive. Strings of words recall eras as she conjures decades of vanished details.... striped stockings and ice cream parlors, Vaudeville and Coney Island, Gibson girls and Victorian matrons, speakeasies and bobbed hair, chiffon gowns and Gershwin. Of course we prudently examine less romanticized matters, but by then I'm lost in a lovely daydream. The drawing above is such an instance in which my historical inspirations made it onto paper. I truly planned to post just a humble unaltered little scan of my ink sketch, but before I knew it my Gibson-inspired girl was in a gilt frame upon a pink papered wall. I think she certainly lacks the true Gibson Girl air; confidence and brazen eye contact are perhaps intentionally missing, replaced instead by a quality more demure and sighing.

Photoshop brush found {here}.

9 comments:

cindy : quaint said...

as robert deniro said in 'analyze this' - "you got a gift". your drawing is lovely and i wish my history classes were as compelling and interesting as yours. lucky you to have a professor who teaches history in context with everything that was going on at the time vs. simply dates and facts.

Design Lovely said...

I love it all! The sketch, the layout, and the writing. You are very lucky to have such an interesting history teacher.

Hannahbelle said...

I've just discovered your blog and I have no idea how it's remained hidden from me for so long. You have a lovely outlook on the world and everything here is beautiful and quaint in it's own right.

I'm certainly going to keep reading.

Waterrose said...

She looks like she is contemplating where all the time went.

Angelique said...

I can definitely sympathize with running out of time to draw. Working on my master's thesis right now definitely cuts into drawing time, and I miss it! Your drawing is lovely; I always enjoy it when you share one.

have a great day!
- Angelique
http://studiokiekje.typepad.com

Heather said...

It's lovely!

ARTISANNE said...

What a superb drawing, you are very talented :0)

Casey said...

WOW! This is lovely... my jaw dropped when I saw it. Gorgeous! :)

Oh, and btw: I just gave you a blog award! Keep up the fantastic and inspiring blogging!!!

Miss B. said...

Just lovely! You are so talented:)

Post a Comment