Sunday, November 2, 2008

All Hallow's Eve {Part I}

All autumn I've been dying to make some bright red candied apples. Partially in tribute to my love of pretty sweets and partially in the spirit of making the most of having our very own kitchen (after two years of dormitory life). I coerced my roommate Nikki into spending a good portion of Halloween afternoon stirring what could have been a cauldron - given the sinister appearance of it's bubbling red contents. We used Martha's recipe, Gala apples, and prunings from the plum tree back at home as sticks. I'd never quite tasted a candied apple, or made one for that matter, and we also didn't have a candy thermometer, which I'm told is key. Miraculously they turned out well until it came time to clean up and we realized the rapidly hardening candy mixture had transformed our pot, spoon and cookie sheet into a sculptural work of modern art. I'm pleased to report that after a little boiling water, all was fully resolved - or, more accurately, dissolved.

Snapshots: {Top} Apples on a vintage plate - found while thrifting along the coast last summer. {Middle} Apples on the "farmhouse kitchen table" - purchased second hand refinished over the summer. {Bottom} Red, shiny, sugary, deliciousness.

27 comments:

cindy : quaint said...

the apples look wonderful, i like the long sticks. glad it all came clean - ugh!

julie said...

Your photos are way aweseome!

If Martha saw them, she'd be all, "OMG, please come photograph for my magazine!"

And you'd be all, "No way, Martha. I've got my blog."

Stacy's Designs 88 said...

Love the photos! Thanks for sharing. Lovely as always. Hey, you should replace that obnoxious Martha Stewart guy who just got eliminated from Top Design! :)

Tina Amato said...

Gorgeous.

Paper Lady Invites said...

Beautiful photos, and I loved the story too. Please check out my card contest post! I'm interested to see what you would come up with!

http://paperladyinvites.blogspot.com/2008/11/email-me-photo-of-your-custom-holiday.html

-chelsey

smokeymountainscents said...

Wonderful photos! the apples look awesome.

simpledaisy said...

Hi there..
Great photos!! Don't you just love the seasons???

Livy said...

Haha Julie. Your comment made me laugh. I'm afraid I'd do anything to work for martha, or anywhere for that matter. There doesn't seem to be a huge demand in the job market for history/art history majors *sigh*

Beth Singleton said...

I don't think Martha could have done those apples any better than you! They are just beautiful! I'm sure they tasted as good as they look!

Eva said...

Hi!
I have awarded you with "I love your blog "award!

porter hovey said...

Oh wow!! Those are just beautiful. Yes, just like little jewels.

Tizzalicious said...

Beautiful photos!

Nicole said...

these are totally gorgeous!

Soon, Then said...

how wonderful! I love what Julie said. :)

Liz said...

Such stunning photos!

Joanna Goddard said...

so pretty!!!

librarianism said...

So pretty!

LBB said...

Gorgeous photos as always! I love how dramatic they are.

Ashley L. said...

incredibly beautiful post. i LOVE the images! :)

julie king said...

oh, i adore these photos!! they make my heart skip a beat of pure delight!

brandianndesigns said...

LOVE the photography! greay work

kristen said...

I just found your blog and i LOVE it. It's so pretty! These apples are super cool also! =]

k*smith said...

Amazing...absolutely amazing~

Lynne said...

wow, those photos are amazing! Too bad you had to eat them!

citysage said...

Wow! Stunning photos and stunning apples---I don't know what I want more: one of those treats or your fab checkered floor!

Pieceful Bits said...

Great Photos of those apples! They turned out beautiful even though you did not have a candy thermometer! Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting.
(~~)
Julie

nikole said...

so cute!

Post a Comment