Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Thirties Dresser: Part Two

Remember the circa 1937 dresser uncovered at a yard sale? (If not, you can see Part One here). It's finished at last! It's been painted a warm white and given a clear glossy finish. It now sits in the living room of our little antiquated California college flat, cozily lit by the glow of a modern floor lamp. It's a convenient spot to hold dvds, paperwork and craft supplies, and has a clean, succinct look without it's vanity mirror (which is being safely stored away).

I had very much wanted to replace the dull black knobs it came with (which seemed to be recent additions anyway, certainly not as old as the dresser). I considered the ubiquitous brushed nickel options and the eclectic, lovely selection at Anthropologie, but none seemed just right (aesthetically or fiscally). Finally I turned to creating some myself, purchasing a few plain wooden knobs to experiment with. To a disastrous end, I tried covering them in paper, and soon turned to using fabric instead. The results were much more agreeable and to my surpise, I'm quite content with them for the time being. It was a simple little project, remarkably affordable and especially well-suited to the cottage look. For the DIY-inclined, I couldn't resist making an illustrated tutorial on "How to Make Fabric Covered Knobs". I'll be posting that later on this weekend, so stay tuned and enjoy your early autumn Saturday!

Notes on materials: Paint is "Fragrant Jasmine" by Behr in satin finish, topcoated with semi-gloss water-based polyurethane.

6 comments:

chatond said...

Gosh...only $5 for such a little gem! As the saying goes, one person's trash is another person's treasure. The knobs are gorgeous, and compliment the dresser perfectly.

I love finding old pieces and bringing them back to life. Probably half of my furniture is old pieces...they have a character that you just don't find in the new :)

Pen and Ink Calligraphy said...

You did a beautiful job - I love the legs on that dresser! And fabric for the knobs...what a great idea!
- Lisa

cindy : quaint said...

it looks beautiful and thank you for the fabric covered knob tutorial.

Grace@PoeticHome said...

This is so cheery and delightful! I love the knob selection at Anthropologie too, but I've never been able to find ones that are just right for me. Your tutorial is marvelous, and I love how you made the dresser completly "yours." :)

simpledaisy said...

I will definately give this a whirl!! I have a similar dresser that my great-grandma gave me and these knobs would look super sute on it!!!

Sweet 'n Sassy Baby said...

What a great tutorial! So cute!

Post a Comment